Thursday, February 2, 2017

YouTube is Helpful for School

Throughout my time in high school and college, I always needed help. However, finding a tutor that could fit into my schedule was always difficult. Very early on in high school I found out that essentially anything that can be taught in school, can be taught via video. In an age where the internet reigns king, our generation needs constant stimuli. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it's more of a fact. Anyways, I discovered that the tutors I really wanted, needed to be accessible 24/7...and they were. So without further adieu, I would like to introduce y'all to my tutors since Freshman year.
     Sal Khan is a household name on the internet. Mostly because of the educational videos he puts out day after day on his website, Khan Academy . On Khan Academy you can find essentially a video for any of the core topics. However, I would suggest mainly the Math and Sciences for the site. The way he talks through the problems and illustrates it with different colors makes it very clear for the audio and visual learner!
     John and Hank Green, two of my personal favorite YouTube heroes, have been putting out educational content for years now on a YouTube channel called "Crash Course." Crash Course offers a large-large array of topics from Astronomy to Philosophy. The videos are amazingly illustrated and present the information in a visually appealing way. Since I discovered their channel Sophomore year of high school, I have used their videos at lease once a semester for one of my classes. Easily my favorite channel to bingewatch, even outside of class.
    My other favorite educational YouTube channel is Vox. Vox is more of a news outlet that presents  its information on Youtube as a narrative. It is very enterating and for the most part bi-partisan. I use it to stay current with the news for my Political Science classes so I can partake in discussion in a somewhat educated way.
    Outside of these channels for information, I really enjoy a newer channel called Lessons From the Screenplay. LFTS is a channel dedicated to seeing how the screenplay written for a movie is transformed into that movie. It shows different techniques writers use to portray a certain action differently than you would normally, and even gives you more information on the story you already knew. Their latest video(LFTS) is about Aaaron Sorkin, a screenwriting god in the movie community who really uses dialogue in the most unique ways. As someone who enjoys movies and is giving their hand at screenwriting this channel is easily my favorite right now and I can't recommend it enough.

This week's quote comes from the tutor I've known the longest, Sal Khan.

"Don't waste inspiration."

There's a video for that,
Matt
 


No comments:

Post a Comment