Friday, March 17, 2017

ASG Update and Elections

My ASG Portrait!
As I’ve been on Student Government the past couple of months, I really think I’ve found my niche on campus. SBCC feels so big but ASG makes it feel just small enough to feel like I have my own little community on campus. All the people on ASG are like-minded individuals who I really vibe with and overall it’s a great group. So with that little anecdote, I’ve decided to run for Vice President of External Affairs.

VP of External Affairs is one of the diplomats who represents SBCC on a state level. This job entails attending Region VI meetings and the Student Senate of California Community Colleges. In translation, this job entails going to Sacramento on a monthly basis for legislative concerns. Furthermore, you are representing SBCC students and other CA community college students. I believe this job is one of the most important jobs at SBCC and I want to tackle this position head on.
A Candid of me advocating for Trans-Rights (Far Left) (#Famous)

If elected, I plan on implementing a Standing Committee on campus that includes a group of diverse individuals who can provide feedback to me, and advocate for their respective groups on campus. I will include members of the LGBT+ club, Student Equity Committee, Black Student Union, The Wellness Connection, The Student’s Sustainability Coalition, and any other groups who feel like their respective voice is not being heard. Again, I believe this position to be
one of the most important, and I intend on ensuring that if elected, quieter voices will be heard.

From a personal perspective, I’m starting early in preparing for this position. I’ve started a dialogue with the current VP of External Affairs in regards to her position, but I plan on starting to get into the nitty-gritty with her soon. Furthermore in May I will be attending the General Assembly Conference which is a gathering of CA Community College Student Senates. At the Assembly, there will be breakout sessions, keynote speakers, and actual diplomatic affairs that the VP of External Affairs is responsible for representing SBCC. Finally, this summer I’ll be interning full-time in the State Assembly which is heavily involved with the Student Senate of California Community Colleges.
Elections are going to be a rough and a lot of work, but I’m looking forward to it. So… Come a couple weeks… MATT ESGUERRA FOR VP OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS.

This week's quote comes from Good Ol' JFK,
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."

VOTE FOR ME,
Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment