Sunday, March 19, 2017

Finding Your Strengths

People focus too much on their weaknesses nowadays. Society perpetuates this notion that it is necessary to improve your weaknesses and make them your strengths. I accept this, but a counter point that was brought forward to me a couple months ago is focusing on my strengths and using them to my advantage. My Critical Thinking/Philosophy teacher introduced our class to a book/quiz combo of StrengthsFinder 2.0 at the beginning of the semester. He encouraged us to take it and a couple weeks later I too
k it and was not at all disappointed. I learned about my five strengths and how to best use them to succeed in life and school. They are...

Futuristic. In essence, what this strength says is that I think ahead, which I whole-heartedly agree with. I always am thinking of how to best utilize my time and what the potential futuristic benefits could be if I pursue a specific action.

Woo. Woo stands for winning over others. What it says about me is I really enjoy social interaction and "breaking the ice" with people so that I can reach a more intimate relationship with this new person.

Communication. I like that I have woo and communication together because they basically go hand in hand. First off, I like meeting people (woo), but I also like to have meaningful/interesting conversation with the people as well (communication).

Competition. Comparing is everything. I have to always be among the best in any group of people. I feel like I can definitely agree with this strength because I've consistently compared myself to others my whole life. Starting at a very young age with my twin sister, to present-day where I compare myself to other Honors Students academically.

Random non-related picture of my uncle I colorized I wanted to share
Positivity. This strength explicates the optimistic world view that I have. I always tend to look towards the brighter side because I like being happy (crazy right?). I always just feel that the world is negative enough and that we should at least try to make it less negative on an individual level.

I've taken many personality quizzes and things over the years, but none of them have felt as accurate to me as the StrengthsFinder test. I highly suggest that everyone take it so that they can learn their strengths and use them to their advantage. The link for the quiz can be found here.

This quote comes from one of the most influential writers of our time, Dr. Seuss,

"Fun is good."

Amen Dr. Seuss,
Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment